The Pequon

Pequon

Today, we celebrate FLASHBACK FRIDAY with a 35mm photo taken in 2002!

The Pequon--a white 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis station wagon with fake wood paneling--was my first car. It was named after Captain Ahab's "Pequod" 'cos it handled like a boat, looked like a boat, was roughly boat-sized, and probably floated. Besides which, my parents had always called it "the white whale" or "the Moby Mercury," so continuing the Moby Dick theme seemed appropriate.

(It's also the car I took to my senior prom.)

This was taken for my first photography class, and I think it was my first experience in taking candid photos of people... and trying to mollify them after they heard the shutter go SNAP and gave me dirty looks.

4 comments:

Per Stromsjo said...

So that would be a car with some memories attached, right?

Adam said...

Haha, I love the comment above me.

And the picture has a very old old feeling to it, a lot of nostalgia wrapped in it.

Hyde DP said...

after they heard the shutter go SNAP and gave me dirty looks.

I get the looks BEFORE I snap!

Josy said...

Per Stromsjo- Mmmmmmmm. No response.

Adam- would the picture still have the "very old old feeling to it" if I hadn't included the description?

Gerald- Well, they didn't realize I was pointing a camera at them before the snap. A Canon Rebel 2000 is a standard SLR camera--not exactly something you can be sneaky about.